Top Ten Tuesday - My Favorite iPod/iPhone Apps

>> Monday, January 10, 2011

Top Ten {Tuesday}


I really, really, really want an iPhone.  I mean....really! Unfortunately, I have to carry a Blackberry for work so no iPhone for me.  Instead I make do with a Generation 4 iPod Touch.  It's like a iPhone lite.  Sort of.  Except the camera kind of sucks but I digress.

The coolest thing about iPhones and new iPods are the great apps you can download for them.  Here are my ten favorite apps right now.  I've included their current prices in the Apple App Store as well.

1.  Instagram - Free -  This is my favorite app that I didn't use for the first 3 months after I downloaded it.  I just didn't understand what it did.  Since I figured it out I love it.  Basically it is a photo sharing site where you follow people like on Facebook or Twitter.  You take pictures of various things in your life & it posts to Instagram.  People can follow your pictures & you can follow theirs.  I've been using it to take most of the pictures for my 365 Day Photo Project.  There are also a few filters you can use to make your pictures look cooler.

Look who fell asleep on me while watching TV!

This pic was taken with Instagram.


2.  Hipstamatic - $1.99 - This is another camera app.  It is similar to Instagram without the sharing.  It uses the camera in your iPod/iPhone but applies filters to it to make it look like your photo was taken with an older camera/film.  It gives a cool look to your pictures.



This picture was taken with Hipstamatic

3.  Diptic - 1.99 - One last photo app...Diptic allows you to take all your iPhone/iPod pictures and turn them into awesome collages that can then be shared.  Diptic makes it easy to make great looking collages with just a few clicks which is essential when you are trying to do this on such a small screen!

A Diptic Collage


4.  Facebook - Free - Not sure if you're as addicted to Facebook as I am but I love the mobile app.  You can do all the "big" functions as the full Facebook like update status, upload a picture & read other people's statuses.  Definitely worth the download for those times that you have a few minutes to kill where there's Wifi!

5.  Twitter - Free - I've tried a few different Twitter iPod/iPhone apps but I keep coming back to the "real" twitter.  I'm not sure it's the best but it gets the job done.

6.  Talking Tom Cat - Free -  A great toddler/preschool diversion app!  You talk to the talking tom cat & he repeats what you said back at you in a funny voice.  To an adult this may sound boring but to a preschooler it is high comedy!  It can keep Evan quiet for 20 minutes!

7.  Train Conducter USA 2 - $0.99 - One of my favorite games.  This is one of those games that tests how fast you can get the right train on the right track without any crashes.  It will make you CRAZY but you can't stop playing.  It will give you an eye twitch in no time flat!

8.  Fruit Ninja - $0.99 - One of the few games that both Evan and I like to play.  It has a harder mode with bombs and such but also a "Zen" mode where you are timed but it's much more....well.....zen.  Your finger swipe is a ninja sword swipe that cuts fruit.  You try to cut more than one piece of fruit per swipe.  More fruit equals more points.  

9.  Cake Doodle - $0.99 - Evan plays Cake Doodle more than ANY other iPod game hands down.  He absolutely loves it.  It starts with a recipe & you drag each ingredient to the bowl.  On some of the ingredients you have to "do" something with it......you chop the butter, crack the egg, etc.  You then mix it, pick a shape for the cake, bake it, decorate it & then eat it.  Evan plays it over and over.

10.  Pictureka - $1.99 - Play through the "Adventure" mode & you go through increasingly difficult levels of picture find games.  You have one big picture that you can scroll through right to left.  You are given a number of things to find.  As you find them, you are given more things to find.  Oh, and did I mention that there's a time?  Yep there is.  The only negative to this app is that it doesn't let you save your progress.  If you run out of time you have to start all over.  I've gotten all the way through & I find myself going back to play it again and again because it's different each time.

What are your favorite apps?  I would love to know!

Important info! One thing to note....in this world of apps, there has been something called "In-App Purchases" to cut down on App piracy.  This means that you can buy extra stuff from within an app.  That's all well in good as long as the person buying it and paying for it KNOWS they are which may not be the case if your 2 year old is playing with your iPod/iPhone.  Here is a tutorial on how to turn this ability OFF.  Do it now......no really.  Evan managed to charge $10 in In-App Purchases to my account before I figured this out.  You're welcome.  :)

This Top Ten Tuesday post is linked up over at Oh Amanda!

8 comments:

ohAmanda 11:14 PM  

Wow, I just heard about that that in-app thing today, too. How freaky.

Thanks for all the suggestions--I love the pic apps!

April 11:37 PM  

I forwarded this to Brian. I hate the In-App Apps - they have this in the Baby Einstein and it is so annoying!

Julie 4:13 AM  

i had no idea about the in app thing. what a scam! i am totally going to get the hubby to find these ones.

have you succumbed to angry birds yet?

Kathy@House of Hills 6:50 AM  

GREAT list! Thanks for sharing

Danielle S 8:06 AM  

Thanks for the in-app info! Did it right away. We love the apps here. I use twitterific and hootsuite for twitter stuff. Love the RSS feed app for keeping up on blog entries too! I also use bargain bin to check out apps that are on sale or free for limited times.

Woody 1:34 PM  

Have you played Flight Control? Sounds like the train game might be similar but you're an air traffic controller. I still think it's the best iPhone game ever.

Also, my kids play with some apps like the cat one. I would say it keeps them occupied, but certainly not quiet!

Merry 3:18 PM  

I haven't really succumbed to Angry Birds b/c I downloaded it and I SUCK at it. I can't figure it out. I know, I know, I just need to try harder. I've heard so many people talk about what a time suck it is so I'm not sure I need to!

One I left off b/c I'm sort of embarrassed I'm addicted to it is ZombieFarm. It's a free app but it does have In-App purchases that you can make to get further in the game. It's kind of like Farmville meets Zombies. Highly addictive!

Woody - I have tried Flight Control. My husband has it on his iPod. It is fun. I've played it on his iPod lots. I agree that maybe "quiet" was the wrong word choice. :)

Stef Robins 1:35 PM  

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of in-app apps. I'm also a fan of Instagram and Hipstamatic. And I also have Talking Tom Cat because my kid asked me to download it!

My hubby and kids also love playing Angry Birds, they're addicted to it! I also play it but I get frustrated easily LOL. Another app I suggest you get is my favorite mommy app, Intuition (http://www.iconapps.com/product.htm). It's a task management app for moms but more than that, it also helps me get in touch with other moms like me via its Community feature. There I can get many new tips and advice. Also, since I used Intuition, I've become much more organized and much less stressed.

I love it because it's so easy to use and really looks pretty. Another great thing with it is that it's completely free! I really think you should download it for your iPod :)

Post a Comment

I *heart* comments! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Archive

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP